Sunday, August 16, 2009

Hawaii's Petroglyphs: More on Night Marchers

"Not exactly lore, (but) this story was handed down to me years ago by a dear friend who happened to be near here late one night," explains Akaka. " He reported seeing Hukai-po, or Night Marchers."

"Night Marchers! What are Night Marchers?" I ask, knowing that nothing in my culture will prepare me for the answer.

"Night Marchers are apparitions who move with purpose. Some carry torches, some beat drums, and it's said they roam through specific locations between the seashore and the mountains," Akaka says.

"And what happened to your friend?" I question.

"Nothing. Hawaiians know better than to interrupt a Night Marcher procession, or look at them directly because that could signal a grim fate," he says.

[Read More]

No comments:

Post a Comment